- San Gregorio
Starting from Reggio Calabria and following the SS106 Ionic
towards Taranto there is San Gregorio Taumaturgo, pretty church
built along the National via, amd old Building for the extraction of
the essence of bergamot of the Arenella, there is now abandoned.
Also a tower of around the XVIII-XIX cent. .It’s interesting to
remember that in the San Gregorio area in 1920 was discovered
a grave that goes back to the VI cent. B.C.. containing a precious
funereal equipment, today displayed in the National Museum.
From San Gregorio, following the SS106 there is Pellaro,
ancient and flourishing village of the ionic coast. In the centre is
possible to admire some significant buildings in liberty style. In
the San Giovanni area is necessary to mention San Giovanni church of
which informations go back to 1420 and the small but interesting
Museum of the Country Civilization of the “Nuovi Vignaioli”. Of
great importance are the archeological findings of the “Occhio di
Pellaro” necropolis, to which belonged the great tomb with rooms of
greek time, the Pellaro-centro Necropolis(III-Iicent. B.C.), the
ruins of the ancient marine of Pellaio, submerged by the seaquake of
1908, that can be admired at a low depth in the waters of the coast.
In the hills on its back, about 3km away, is still possible to see
the ruins of an ancient monastery, maybe basilean, dedicated to San
Filippo d’Agirò or San Filippo d’Jriti, of which there were news
since 1274. Going up towards San Filippo area there is the Lume
district, in which church (Santa Maria del Lume), built in 1735,
there’s a canvas representing the Santa Maria, that probably goes
back to the XVIII cent.
Continuing along the Ionian Superstrada there is Bocale
with its SS Cosimo and Damiano church where some important
archeological findings were discovered: a greek necropolis, some
byzantine multiple tombs,a millstone that goes back to the Middle
Ages and numerous black painted ceramics fragments of the VI cent.