Art and culture
Area Grecanica
Costa Viola

Photo Archive
Video archive
Art and Culture > Reggio
Reggio’s wealth
The most important symbols of reggina’s culture and history are collected in the city centre.
The Archeological Museum of Reggio Calabria was instituted in 1882, originally as a municipal museum. Its building was built under a project by the architect Marcello Piacentini in 1932, but remained unused during the war and through the postwar. In 1955 was partially opened to the public. It has many sections: the prehistorical collection, the locrese section, the section dedicated to the greek colonies in Calabria, the numismatic section and the archeological skin-diving, that since 1981 is home to the famous Bronzi di Riace, precious witnesses of bronze greek sculpture of the V cent. B.C., and the Philosopher’s Head of Porticello, found in a wreck in the depths of the sea in the area of Porticello of Villa San Giovanni. The National Museum, waiting for a municipal art gallery to be built, is also keeping the Municipal Museum collection, that is made of operas that go from the 700 to the 900, amongst which is possible to find the operas of Domenico Genoese and Monsolino-Lavagna-De blasio and the small wooden paintings by Antonello Da Messina. On the via Reggio Campi, at the back of the church San Paolo alla Rotonda there is the Small Museum San Paolo, born from the artistic passion and the will of Mons.Francesco Gangemi. It’s home to various objects of sacred art from around the world, icons that go back to the byzantine and norman time, silvers and paintings.
The construction of Reggio’s Cathedral goes back to the foundation of the Church by San Paolo. On the main altar, from September to November, the painting of the Lady of the city, the Madonna della Consolazione, is displayed.
Among the chapels inside the cathedral of great value is the one of SS. Sacramento with its inlayed marble walls, realised in 1539 by the bishop Agostino Gonzaga. On the main street, Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi we find the Municipal Theatre “F.Cilea”, opened in 1931, and that since the 60’s has welcomed the most famous theatre and opera companies. Closed in 1985, was then restored and given back to the city in 2003, and it has today a full season of music, ballet and theatre.

Patrona Festival
“Today and always: long live Maria” is the cry of the “carriers”, that condense the devotion of the people of Reggio for the Madonna della Consolazione. A consolation, that as meant in the bible, is aid, assistance, help. The painting that represents her was done by the reggino painter Nicolò Andrea Capriolo in 1547, and blessed by the archibishop Agostino Gonzaga in the following year, inside Reggio’s Cathedral. Since then a tradition full of faith and popular participation exists. Famous are the fact that firstly linked the reggini with the Madonna della Consolazione, during pestilence, epidemics and earthquakes. It is notorious that on the 24th of May 1657, with a notarial act signed by Cristoforo Latella , Reggio undertook to offer a festival every year on the first saturday after the 8th of September. In this occasion 100 men at a time carry the Holy Image from the Eremo church to the Cathedral, where it remains untill the 21st of November , festival for the presentation of the Beata Vergine Maria when it’s carried back to the Eremo.

Reggio Calabria’s Cathedral
Detail of the Madonna procession
Change area in ART AND CULTURE
> Museums
> Concerts
Get to know Reggio better and select the topic of your interest