- Melito P.S.
Melito Porto Salvo (28 mt. a. s.l.), one of the most populated centres
of the Ionic coast and main centre to the surrounding villages due to its many
services, is only 20km away from Reggio Calabria and it’s reachable through the
S.S.106. the urban centre presents various newly built villas by the pleasent
architectonic lines. In the fraction of Porto Salvo it is possible to visit the
Sanctuary of the Madonna, spiritual centre for many sailors. Very beautiful are
also the beaches that get very crowded in the summertime. In the context of
national history, Melito is especially mentioned because of two landings of
Garibaldi in 1860 and 1862 that are remembered with the Garibaldi
Grave-Mausoleum on the Rumbolo beach.
Around the Annà area it is also possible to visit Palazzo Ramirez o Casina
dei Mille where Garibaldi spent the night on the 19th of August 1860, and on
which front is still visible a Bourbon cannon ball stuck in its structure.
7 km away from Melito, on an imposing cliff in the shape of a hand, there is
the ancient village of Pentidattilo (that means “five fingers”), left
abandoned for years and today being restored. There are information about
Pentidattilo since 640 B.C. when it was founded by the Calcidesi, and it
remained a flourishing centre till the roman time. Considered as one of the most
picturesque areas of Calabria, Pentidattilo is ruled by the remains of the
Castle, where in the far Easter night of 1686, the massacre of the Alberti
family was consumed by the hand of the Bernardino Abenavoli, Baron of Montebello
and in love with Antonietta Alberti.
There are many legends and popular stories linked to this happening.
Pentidattilo has also to be remembered because it was the birthplace of Pietro
Vitali, humanist of the XV century, and of the major exponent of greek culture.
With its pictouresque alleys it is possible to enjoy evocative sea and mountain
views and it will be interesting to visit S.S. Pietro and Paolo’s church and
also the Candelora’s church built in the XVII century.
Going back from Melito on the coast through the S.S.183 it is possible to
stop in Bagaladi. The village is situated at the feet of Mount Pezzi and
on the right side of the Tuccio fiumara, and it seems that some Basilean monks
gave life to it. Many monasters have been built here: St. Michele, St. Teodoro,
St. Fantino and St. Angelo. To mention is the Madonnina dell’Ulivo, a bronze
statue placed on a balcony in the San Giovanni area, from where it’s possible to
admire the all village. Is also interesting to see San Teodoro’s church, that
built in 1940, keeps in a lateral chapel a 1504 white marble group of the
Santissima Annunziata, attributed to Antonello Gagini, and an interestingly made
white marble cross that goes back to the XVI century.