Area Grecanica
Costa Viola
Art and Culture

Photo Archive
Video archive
Routes > Costa Viola > Route 1

- Palmi
- Seminara
- Melicuccŕ
- Acquaro di Cosoleto
- Delianova
- Sant'Eufemia d’Aspromonte

Costa Viola, part of a litoral that extends till Villa S. Giovanni is so called for the purplish colour of the sea. It begins in Palmi, modern town with big squares and large roads placed on a terrace that looks out onto the sea, on the north-west end of Aspromonte domained by Sant’Elia’s mountain. The first informations go back to 1310, but it’s probable origins go back to the X century. The area is particularly beautiful thanks to the various and rich vegetation, it is important to mention its luxurious palms, the orange gardens, its strangely shaped olive trees. A must visit in town is the Casa della Cultura “Leonida Rčpaci”, centre of cultural meetings not just for the town, but for all around Calabria and more. In it we find the rooms of the public library “Domenico Topa”, rich with volumes and works about Calabria and the South of Italy; the municipal museum of ethnography and folklore “Raffaele Corso” opened in 1955 and named after the famous student of folklore and ethnologist R.Corso of Nicotera (1883-1965), in which there is an ample and important choice of traditional calabrian objects; the municipal museum “Francesco Cilea e N.A. Manfroce” opened in 1962 that keeps the musical library of the palmese Francesco Cilea (1866-1950); the section dedicated to the Antiquarium “Nicola de Rose” that contains materials from Taureana that can go back to a chronological time between the VII B.C.and the XI A.C. To point out around the Pietrenere remains of the Torre delle Pietre Nere also the Chiesa Madre, the Chiesa del Soccorso, the Chiesa del Rosario, the Madonna del Carmine’s Sanctuary. In S.Fantino area we have the Torre di S. Francesco, the Monumento a Cilea, the Tauriana castle with its still strong remains around the Torre di Vedetta. A few km away from the town there is the Lido di Palmi that, placed at the centre of a beautiful creek of fine sand and surrounded by evocative cliffs, it’s home for well served camping sites, modern hotels and fine restaurants.

3km away from Palmi there is Seminara, town that was founded, in the opinion of many scholars, between the seventh and eight century by the close Tauriana. Crossed by the via Popilia (the great road that in Roman times used to link Rome to Reggio Calabria), the town controlled a vast territory through which the army had to pass to get to Sicily. This is why in time was surrounded by strong town walls with four turreted doors and a fortified castle. The big number of churches and convents inside and outside the walls is the proof of a strong religious faith and ecclesiastical power that used to rule most of the public life. In the centre of the town there is the Madonna dei Poveri’s Sanctuary that guards the Sacra Immagine della Madonna, destination and cult of many populations of Calabria and Scilla. The opera, representing the Madonna with Baby Jesus, is a very ancient black wooden statue (“Nigra sed formosa”), just above 90 centimetres, of eastern manifactury and brought to Tauriana by Basilean monks come to our shores the Emperor Leone the Isaurico, in the VIII century, ordered the destruction of all the sacred images. Another site of interest is the church of San Marco which keeps a marble altar-piece representing the Epiphany and that presents itself like one of the most precious and significant products of the Renaissance period.
Left Seminara and proceeding on the SS112 for 6 km going south, there is Melicuccŕ. The village, that is placed on a slope and overlooks a landscape full of olive trees, seems to be of byzantine origin. Its building goes back to the 650 A.C. and its original name, Grecěa, was kept till 1700, year in which it its actual name that probably comes from a greek plant, the “melicoccon”, was assigned. Just 12 km away from Melicuccŕ, following the SS 112 and passing through the centre of San Procopio, ( in which church of Rosario is possible to admire the marble statue of the Madonna with the Baby of 1532), there is Acquaro di Cosoleto, that ows its fame to San Rocco’s Sanctuary. Here is kept an image of the saint that is believed to be miraculous and it’s site of many pilgrimages. Following the SS112 there is Delianova, also called the “porta dell’Aspromonte”. This area is built on the high valley of the Diverso torrent, and it projects itself over the vast expanse of olives of the Piana di Gioia Tauro. In its historical centre there are various noble villas, which are characterised by monumental portals made out of green stone that testify the great skills of the sculptores of the area. The parish church of Delianova, dedicated to San Nicola, keeps an interesting statue that goes back to the XVI century and represents the Madonna della Visitazione and an alabaster marble column of the XIV century. The church of the Assunta, built in neo-renaissance style, holds a marble statue of the Immacolata of the end of the XVIII century, a wooden sculpture representing San Giuseppe and a canvas representing the Assunzione, also from the XVIII century. Left Delianova, still following the main road for about 7 km, we get to Sant’Eufenia d’Aspromonte, active little town surrounded by deep chestnut-tree forests. To strenghten the theory of an ancient origin of this town there are many archeological finds that have been descovered on its territory: bronze coins of Roman time, amphorae, various objects and also a silica knife.

Change area in ROUTES
Costa Viola
> Palmi ―> Sant'Eufemia d'Aspromonte
> Bagnara ―> Calanna
> Sant'Alessio d'Aspromonte ―> Montalto


Get to know the Costa Viola better and select the topic of your interest